When we got Belle I knew I had to do something about the small vinyl fence on the side of our house. I decided we would tear the vinyl fence down and put up some 6 foot dog-eared fence boards. Then I saw a picture of an arbor incorporated into a backyard fence entrance and thought it would look great on the side of our house.
I priced the pre-built arbors at ACE, Home Depot and Lowes and the cheapest one I could find was around $500 for a decent one. Of course like all other hard headed home owners I thought – I can build that! So I begun getting my materials together.
Of course I first contacted my inside hook-up for materials, my dad. He put in touch we the good guys over at Warner Robins Supply in Macon. I get the bulk of materials from them for around $110.00. Below is the items list:
- 4 – 4x6 10’ beams
- 15 6’ dog-eared fence boards
- 12 8’ 2x2 spindels
- 2 - 4’x8’ ¾ lattice
- 1 – 2x8 12’
- 2 – 2x6 16’
- 8 – r12 joist straps
- 3 pounds of Deckmate 3” screws
- 1 pounds of Deckmate 1 5/8” screws
- 4 - 7” 5/8 carriage bolts
- 2 – 2x4x12
- 1- Align-a-gate kit (lowes $40)
*The tools used were all cordless 19.2 volt Craftesman skill saw, sawzall and drill*
Once I had purchased half of Lowes and Warner Robins supply, I began carefully removing the old vinyl fence. I say carefully because I intended to use the confederate jasmine growing on it once the new structure is in place.
I completed the installation and construction in about two weeks. I used a gate kit from Lowes to build the gate and it has worked great! The hinge bolts had to be adjusted a few times, but once they were in good we were in business.
I planted another Jasmine plant on the other side of the lattice along with a climbing rose bush (Don Juan-red).
Here are some pics from May 2009:
Start
Working......







Finished Work!!!!


(I WILL POST A PIC THIS SPRING ONCE EVERYTHING GETS BLOOMING)
Thursday, February 25, 2010
Gate and Arbor May 2009
Posted by Lisa and David at 8:26 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment